At the beginning of October Ty was asked to go to Washington DC for 2 weeks! Since he was gone more than a week his company offered to fly me out there for a weekend. I have never been to DC, but after talking with Ty, we decided it wouldn't work out. I didn't want to fly by myself and take two 20 month olds along and we couldn't think of anyone that could watch them for 3 days that lived close. Ty called me a few days later and told me his parents were planning to come visit us and they had decided to move up their trip by a couple weeks so that I could go to DC! I was so excited and super grateful to my in-laws who took such good care of Troy and Weston while I was away. It was so strange not to have our boys with us, I forgot how easy it is to travel without kids! Eating out was relaxed, I didn't have to pack gear and diaper bags up for every outing or figure out how naps would work into our daily schedule. I did miss Troy and Weston tons! By the 3rd day I was ready to go home to kiss and hug my sweet boys! I know I am very lucky and blessed to have been able to have the opportunity to go and I'm so grateful everything worked out!
My favorite day in DC was my first day there. We went to Mt. Vernon to see George Washington's house in Virgina. He was really into architecture and symmetry in the house and on the grounds. He loved farming and his house had a lot of wheat and farming motifs on the ceilings and throughout the house. They wouldn't let us take pictures inside the house that's why all the pictures are of the outside.
George Washington's home in Mt. Vernon, This is the front view.
The back of the house.
The back of the house overlooks the Potomac river. It was so
beautiful I just had to sit and enjoy the view for a few minutes!
The green house and slave quarters on the left and right sides.
George Washington paid thousands of dollars to have these
hedges trimmed into family crests and other designs.
Fruit and vegetable gardens. The little building at the end is where
seeds were stored. They never had to buy seeds again after first time planting.
The Blacksmith showed us how to make nails,
that they use for restoration projects on the grounds.
We stopped by the DC temple and walked around the grounds.
The corners on the spires look black and gold in the daylight but then light up at night with all different colors.
It is a beautiful temple!









2 comments:
Mount Vernon is beautiful. Love the Potomac River in the back yard, wow what a view. The DC Temple is gorgeous! I am so thankful that the Turners watched your boys, so that you and Ty got to be together and see all that you did. They are so kind to be willing to do that. A very cool weekend you enjoyed.
Looks like a great trip and great weather. You guys really packed in a lot! And yes, I've never seen the reflection pool without water. That was a weird sight.
Post a Comment