Ty's parents were willing to watch the boys for us so we could sneak away to see Chicago for a couple days. It took us about fours to drive there and we only stayed one night but we made the most of our time there. This is an Architectural Tour on Lake Michigan it was beautiful!
The next day was a rainy one in Chicago, I'm sure we didn't stick out at all in our shorts, t-shirts and no umbrella walking the streets. You'd never know we live in Las Vegas right? Of course when I found out one of Frank Lloyd Wright's houses was in Oak Park I begged Ty being the Design freak I am we took a tour of the inside of the house/studio it was so awesome! Even Ty thought he was brilliant by the end of the tour I mean who wouldn't when he built a baby grand piano that goes through a wall and over stairs so the playroom could have more space but is still functional?. Turns out he also lived a few blocks from where my Grandpa grew up.
This is my Grandpa La Cognata's house he lived in growing up in Oak Park. My Dad had told me his house was a few blocks from the High school but the high school was surrounded by houses in every direction. so we went looking for a gray house with a white wrap around porch. After looking for about 30 minutes on every possible street with no address I was ready to give up. Ty pulled over and looked up the census records on his phone and found my great grandmother's name Angelina with an address. When I got out to take the picture I had this feeling come over me and felt this connection to the house instantly. I'm sure the woman who had just been outside her house was wondering what in the world I was doing standing out there on the sidewalk just staring at her house. I sent the picture to my Dad and he texted back "that's it!" I was so excited! I never got to meet my Grandpa so it was extra special to see where he had lived in his younger years.
Ty's one stipulation for going to Chicago: To go to a baseball game. The White Sox played the Boston Red Sox. I'm usually okay at baseball games but this one I have to say it was the most boring baseball game ever until the 7th or 8th inning when the White Sox finally scored a few runs and then it started to rain which was fun and we ended up winning!
We ate lunch at this pizza place, Giordano's it came highly recommended by a few of my friends that are from Chicago. We had to try the deep dish Chicago pizza it was so yummy and super filling!
We're not up to trouble!
Eating at Culver's with the whole Turner clan minus Meghan and Lue! It was yummy!
Lori and Maysen
Grandpa has his hands full with these two goofballs!
Being silly with Grandma and Grandpa
We were in Iowa over Memorial Day weekend so we went and visited Ty's brother, Justin's grave. Troy's middle name is Justin after his Uncle Justin. The boys don't quite know how to act in cemeteries or what they are for, but they sure did love watching the ducks and geese that were there in the pond there.
What could be more fun then finding big sticks in Grandma and Grandpa's yard?
Troy playing with the well in Grandma and Grandpa's yard.
One of the places we went was the Coral ville Children's museum about a twenty minute drive from Ty's parents house. Grandma and Grandpa Turner, Lori and our niece Maysen all came along and there was so much to do and see!
They thought their own teeth were hard to brush!
Future x-ray Technician?
Weston wasn't sure how to operate on Grandpa he'd only been a surgeon for a few minutes.
They had a really fun music room we spent a lot of time in there being LOUD!
Troy took over making pizzas, taking orders and waiting tables pretty naturally. Maybe operating a restaurant is in his future?
Weston knew just what to do when he saw this cow having just visited a real farm he went right to work milking the cow. What a good little farmer!
While Troy climbed aboard a sheep!
Maysen driving this very colorful tractor.
I guess our day needed to get even more exciting because after we all ate lunch and were ready to head home, I patted Weston's head and felt something there. After looking closely I saw a large bug attached to his head I grabbed Ty and my father in law confirmed "That's a tick" Gross! We went to the first aid station where one of the women said she removed them all the time from her kids and dogs she pulled it out said it hadn't burrowed in very far so he hadn't been there long. It was the most ugly thing I've ever seen and he had a piece of Weston's scalp in his mouth. Yuck! Just for all the tick trouble Weston got a free ride on the carousel. We had Weston's blood taken when we got home and he's been cleared for Lyme disease Phew! Months later Weston still hasn't forgotten this experience. He often tells the story to others "I got a tick on my head, he took a nap, then the teacher pulled it out and I got to go for a ride on the carousel"
No comments:
Post a Comment